Daniel P. Thompson, Esq.
Daniel P. Thompson is a senior associate attorney within the firm’s labor and employment advocacy division. In 2000 he started his own business providing paralegal services to small firms and sole practitioners. Prior to Joining Goyette & Associates in 2007, he diversified his experience working for law firms in the areas of estate planning, wealth management and insurance defense. Since joining the Goyette team, Dan has developed a practice focusing on employment and administrative law for both public and private sector employee associations as well as for state civil service employees. His practice also includes licensing defense for RNs, LVNs and emergency medical services employees. Dan’s areas of experience are:
- Internal Affairs Investigations
- Peace Officer and Fire Fighter Bill of Rights Violations
- Pre-disciplinary “Skelly” Hearings
- “White” Hearings for punitive transfers resulting in loss of pay
- Unemployment benefits and related appeal hearings
- Mediations and Arbitrations for public and private sector employees for disciplinary and non-disciplinary employment matters
- License defense for medical professionals with a focus on registered nurses, licensed vocational nurses and EMTs and Paramedics.
- Civil Service Commission hearings
- Administrative Trials before the State Personnel Board and Office of Administrative Hearings
- Unfair Labor Practice Charges before the NLRB and PERB
- Critical incident defense for officer involved shootings and deaths in custody
- Grievances on behalf of individuals and unions for contract and policy violations by the employer
- Meet and confer process on behalf of unions for terms of employment and working conditions
Dan has developed a unique and dynamic philosophy to how he approaches each case resulting in numerous successful outcomes for his clients. Dan believes that win, lose, or draw, each client must be happy with the representation he provided at the end of each case. By incorporating his ‘big picture representation’ philosophy, Dan strives to be aware of the current political climates, internal politics and personalities that are critical to each client’s representation needs and personal interests.
- Represented Correctional Lieutenant with California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation terminated for allegations of insubordination, neglect of duty and code of silence.
- Represented Correctional Lieutenant with California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation terminated for allegations of dishonesty and falsification of records.
- Represented Correctional Sergeant with California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation terminated for allegations of hit and run, dishonesty and falsification of information to the police.
- Represented Registered Nurse whose license was being revoked by the California Board of Registered Nursing for a DUI.
- Represented Registered Nurse under investigation for allegations of gross negligence resulting from the death of a patient.
- Represented EMT under investigation by Emergency Management Services Agency for allegations of practicing outside his authorized scope when he administered medical treatment to himself.
- Represented Correctional Counselor I regarding allegations of violation of inmate due process.
- Represented Dentist employed by Corrections alleged to have stolen equipment from State grounds
- Represented Correctional Sergeant for allegations of over familiarity and fraternization with inmates
- Represented a Supervising Registered Nurse before the Department of Mental Health who was demoted for alleged insubordination and incompetence
- Represented California Correctional Supervisors Organization in compelling accommodation for impacted Correctional Supervisors as part of Wave 2 of State layoffs.
- Represented Business Manager with Department of Education for allegations of theft, embezzlement and dishonesty.
- Represented police officer accused of sexual harassment, hostile work environment and inappropriate relationship with a subordinate.
- Represented Peace and Probation Officers Association of Alameda County in grievance proceedings for Contract violations.
- Represented Correctional Officer arrested for allegations of bringing contraband into a jail facility.
- Represented Fire Chief accused of violating numerous department policies and misuse of District funds.
- Represented Correctional Officer during complex global settlement of multiple disciplinary actions and counter claims.
- Represented numerous law enforcement officers immediately after their involvement with the use of deadly force resulting on significant injury or death to a suspect.
- Represented union members in asserting violations of their Peace Officers Procedural Bill of Rights by their employer.
- Represents retired fire chief in dispute over accrued retirement benefits.
- Represented national public safety union regarding pre and post election disputes before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Represented union in filing complaint with the Public Employee Relations Board against County for bad faith bargaining
Oak Brook College of Law and Government Policy (2000-2004)
- Juris Doctor
- 2003 – top of class in trial advocacy and moot court
PUBLICATIONS AND PRESENTATIONS
Education and Training
Conducts Shop Steward training for public safety unions
Articles, “The Wheels of Justice Grind Slowly”, “From Supervisor to Rank and File and Back Again” and “CCSO Win’s Again!” – California Correctional Supervisors Organization, Keynotes, Winter 2010 edition (author).
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
California State Bar
Sacramento County Bar Association – labor and employment
For More on Dan’s Cases, Clients, Press Coverage and Articles, Click Here.
Sacramento Law Office | 916-851-1900 | 2366 Gold Meadow Way, Suite 200, Gold River, CA 95670
Modesto Law Office | 209-491-4800 | 1300 "G" Street, Suite 200, Modesto, CA 95354
2013© Goyette &
Associates. All Rights Reserved.