Nicole Valentine joined Goyette and Associates in 2013 and was named Partner in 2017. Her practice focuses on professionals facing criminal complaints, complaints against their licenses, and employer-based investigations for misconduct.
In her criminal practice, Ms. Valentine represents clients facing DUI allegations, possession of controlled substances, drug diversion allegations, domestic violence, and theft. From arraignment to jury trial, Ms. Valentine represents clients at all stages of criminal proceedings. She has successfully negotiated wet and reckless charges for her DUI clients. Additionally, Ms. Valentine has negotiated dismissals for her drug diversion clients where the nurse has no reporting obligation to the nursing board.
Ms. Valentine has represented numerous licensed professionals and has appeared before the Emergency Medical Services Authority (EMSA), the Board of Registered Nursing (BRN), the Board of Licensed Vocational Nurses and Psychiatric Technicians (BVNPT), the Chiropractic Board, and the Board of Respiratory Therapists. From investigation to Accusation, Ms. Valentine has achieved positive outcomes for her clients. Notably, Ms. Valentine has assisted many registered nurses with achieving Citation and Fines, which are not disciplinary in nature.
With respect to her representation of employees, Ms. Valentine has represented clients at internal affairs interviews, Skelly hearings, and has appeared before Arbitrators, the State Personnel Board, Civil Service Commissions, and the Public Employee Relations Board where she has reversed terminations of employment in some cases.
Prior to joining Goyette and Associates, Ms. Valentine primarily handled a criminal caseload where she successfully negotiated dismissals, reductions of felonies to misdemeanors, dismissal of strikes in exchange for non-strike counts, and reductions of misdemeanors to infractions. Ms. Valentine successfully argued motions to suppress evidence, motions to dismiss for lack of speedy trial, and pre-trial motions to keep out evidence. She received praise from judges and supervisors for her superior representation of both adult and juvenile clients.
Below are some of Ms. Valentine’s success stories at Goyette and Associates:
- Represented client accused of gross negligence and unprofessional conduct at hearing. Result: Accusation dismissed by judge and adopted by Board of Registered Nursing.
- Represented client accused of driving under the influence before the Board of Registered Nursing. Result: Accusation dismissed by judge and adopted by Board.
- Represented a nurse with 2 DUI convictions before the Nursing Board. Result: Client was able to keep her nursing license and her employment status as a Director of Nursing.
- Represented a nurse with a .23% BAC DUI conviction before the Nursing Board. Result: Won client Public Reproval after hearing and Board adopted decision.
- Represented a nurse whose license was revoked due to failure to file notice of defense. Result: Restored the client’s nursing license reversing the revocation and negotiated a stipulated settlement of probation.
- Represented a nurse charged with the crime of practicing without a license. Result: Negotiated a dismissal of charges with the District Attorney and reversed a Citation and Fine issued by the Nursing Board.
- Represented a nurse charged with 17 felony counts of obtaining a controlled substance by fraud. Result: Negotiated a dismissal of charges in exchange for client’s completion of treatment and payment of restitution
- Represented a firefighter charged with 7 felony counts of embezzlement. Result: Negotiated a single misdemeanor with informal probation.
- Represented a nurse charged with DUI with a .15 BAC. Result: Negotiated a wet reckless, client received a citation and fine from the Nursing Board.
- Represented a firefighter charged with a DUI. Result: Negotiated a wet reckless and reduced the disciplinary penalty in client’s employment.
- Represented a firefighter with a 0.09 BAC. Result: Negotiated a dry reckless and prevailed at DMV hearing reinstating client’s driver’s license.
- Represented two County employees facing termination for dishonesty. Results: Reversed termination of employment at administrative hearing and arbitration.
- Represented a psychiatric technician charged with felony drug sales. Results: Negotiated a simple possession felony eligible to be reduced to a misdemeanor upon successful completion of probation.
- Represented a firefighter involved in an administrative investigation for use of controlled substances. Results: Investigation unsubstantiated.
Ms. Valentine is originally from Florida where she graduated from the University of Central Florida on a Bright Futures Scholarship. She followed her dreams and moved to California where she attended McGeorge School of Law as an evening student to gain practical experience.
As an advocate who thinks outside of the box, Ms. Valentine’s can-do attitude and willingness to fight for her clients makes her an asset to the clients of Goyette and Associates.
If you wish to have a free consultation with Ms. Valentine, please contact her at (916) 851-1900.