Chief Administrative Officer
Education / Associations
- Rafael earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations from Stanford University in 1999
- He earned his Juris Doctorate (Tax Concentration) from University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law in 2005.
Rafael Ruano is the Chief Administrative Officer and Senior Attorney at Goyette & Associates. At G&A, Rafael is the primary contact for over a dozen of our labor association clients, providing general counsel, handling grievances and individual disciplinary matters, and serving as the lead negotiator in the collective bargaining process. He also oversees the Estate and Business Planning Department and works with individual clients on their estate and business planning needs.
“The best part of my job is getting the opportunity to help clients solve problems proactively,” Rafael says. “This is not always possible – and, like all law firms, we spend a lot of time trying to clean up messes – but, when we have the chance to plan ahead and then, something happens that ends up far better because of the planning…that is a good feeling. Just as enjoyable is the incredible opportunity to meet and interact with hard-working Californians all over the state. I try to learn something new from each of my clients and look forward to meeting with them in their workplaces, homes and communities.”
Outside of work, Rafael helps run one of the largest youth water polo clubs in the country, the American River Water Polo Club, which he founded and has developed over the last 20 years.
As President of the American River Water Polo Club Board (still a growing non-profit organization), Rafael has experienced a myriad of highs and lows that have educated and shaped his career as a legal counselor for individuals, non-profit labor associations and businesses.
Rafael also coaches youth water polo and soccer, and stays busy with his four active (and hungry) boys, ages 7, 9, 11, and 13. He also volunteers with the Elementary School Site Council and High School Athletic Boosters and has held Board positions with the YMCA of Greater Sacramento.
Rafael was born in Montevideo, Uruguay and grew up in Sacramento, California after 4th grade. He earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in International Relations from Stanford University in 1999, and his Juris Doctorate (Tax Concentration) from University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law in 2005.
Over the course of his career, Rafael has also represented hundreds of individual public and private sector employees with various legal needs, including disciplinary matters, harassment and discrimination complaints, and licensing issues. Rafael also has experience in all stages of civil litigation, representing plaintiffs and defendants, individuals and institutional clients.
Rafael also manages many aspects of the law firm’s administration and plays a key role in client development and marketing and growth initiative, as well as managing the firm’s talented group of professionals, ensuring appropriate workloads and being proactive in minimizing burnout and avoiding anyone getting overstretched.
- Collective bargaining representation for California public employee associations representing teachers, firefighters, peace officers, mid-managers, professional, confidential, and general unit employees.
- Labor representation of California public employee associations, including corporate governance, duty of fair representation issues, grievances, unit modification, and decertification procedures.
- Advised hundreds of California couples and individuals in over 25 California Counties with their estate planning needs; drafted comprehensive estate planning documents and offer continuing legal advice to these clients.
- Obtained limited conservatorships for parents of special needs children.
- Represented dozens of professionals with their estate planning concerns, specifically planning for the transfer of sole proprietorships or partnerships upon their incapacity or death.
- Represented several couples with interests in large family-owned agricultural businesses, helping craft estate plans and a transition plan to the next generation.
- Employment litigation, including representing a County employee discriminated against with regards to promotions and equal treatment due to Hispanic ethnicity.
- Member of the Sacramento Estate Planning Council
- Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA (1995 – 1999), Bachelor of Arts, International Relations
- Head Manager, Stanford University Men’s Basketball Team
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (2002 – 2005), Juris Doctor (with Distinction), Tax Concentration
- Anthony M. Kennedy Fellow (member of the second Fellowship class, and recipient of full tuition scholarship for all three years of law school)
- USA Water Polo National Youth Team Coach (2004-2006)
- Rio Americano Athletic Boosters (2015-Present) President (2015-Present)
- YMCA of Superior California (2004 – 2010) Board Member, served on Northeast Branch Regional Board and Greater Sacramento Regional Board
- Rio Americano High School, Women’s Water Polo Coach (1998 – 2009) Eight consecutive CIF Sac-Joaquin Section Championships (2002-2009)
By: Paul Goyette A recent string of California Superior Court and Court of Appeals Decisions indicate a clear trend to decline various employee and employer organization challenges to PEPRA. PEPRA is a form of pension reform law that was passed in 2012 and became effective January 1, 2013. PEPRA made several changes to the California public sector pension systems....
Attorney Brett Sherman of Goyette & Associates successfully represented a State of California Employee in the overturning of a voided appointment. Employee X* was promoted to a Staff Services Manager I (SSM) position within the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation in 2007. Employee X worked in that capacity until 2013, at which time Employee X...
by: Nicole Valentine It would be an understatement to say that 2017 was one of the most rewarding years in my practice as a criminal, labor, and licensing attorney. Below are some of the most notable results I achieved for my clients in each of these areas: One of the most important highlights of this year was when I won a client a full dismissal of all counts of an...
No Results Found
The page you requested could not be found. Try refining your search, or use the navigation above to locate the post.
Request a Free Legal Consultation
Contact Goyette & Associates for a free consultation. We will respond right away and work with your budget.