Scott Nelson is an Associate Attorney assisting with matters throughout Northern California. He specializes in representing law enforcement, firefighters, and public sector employees in all labor matters that arise in the course of their employment.
Mr. Nelson is also a full time sworn Police Sergeant in the San Francisco Bay Area with over 13 years of law enforcement experience. He has spent over ten years representing officers as an Executive Board Union Member (President and Vice-President), Contract Negotiations Team Member, Political Action Committee Member, and served as a Trustee for the PORAC Insurance and Benefits Trust. As a board member, Mr. Nelson has assisted in the resolution of complex FMLA issues, application of AB 340 (PEPRA-Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act), disciplinary matters, and the resolution of a myriad of employee wage and benefit disputes.
Scott has the unique perspective of having been a subject officer, labor representative, and Attorney during Internal Affairs Investigations. These experiences give him a distinct personal motivation and professional advantage to zealously represent each and every client he serves undergoing an IA Investigation, workplace grievance, or wage and benefit dispute.
Mr. Nelson has extensive experience sitting at the negotiation table during some of the worst financial times for public employees. He compliments his hands on experience in labor negotiations with formal training in Interest Based Negotiation and traditional positional negotiation. A combination of these two approaches, along with striving for innovative and creative solutions for both sides, have resulted in numerous successful contract agreements and membership ratifications. Mr. Nelson’s foundation for successful contract negotiations arise from his prior management experience at a regional financial institution and with his Masters of Business Administration Degree.
Scott comes from a public service family. His wife also a sworn Police Officer, brother a Firefighter Battalion Chief, father a retired Navy Veteran, and mother a retired nurse. He spends his free time with his wife and two children enjoying the outdoors, running, and traveling.
- Juris Doctorate – Laurence Drivon School of Law
- Masters of Business Administration Degree – CSU Stanislaus
- Bachelors of Arts Degree in Psychology – CSU Stanislaus
ASSOCIATIONS & MEMBERSHIPS
- California State Bar (#310202)
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- California Young Lawyers Association
- PORAC (Peace Officer Research Association of California)
- American Inns of Court, Member, 2013 – 2015
- Current President for Mountain View Police Officer’s Association
- PORAC Insurance and Benefits Trustee, Treasurer, October 2010 – 2016
- American Red Cross Board Member, Audit/Finance Chairperson, 2006-2011
- Supervisory Board Member/Chairperson, Eagle Financial Credit Union 2006-2009
- Modesto Police Officer’s Association Treasurer, Executive Board member, Political Action Committee, Contract negotiations Team, 2008 – 2016
- Stanislaus Elder Abuse Prevention Alliance, 2001-2005