Attention Nurses: Department of Consumer Affairs Fraud Scam Alert
An attempted fraud scheme is currently targeting licensees of the Department of Consumer Affair’s boards and bureaus, including the Board of Registered Nursing and the Board of Vocational Nurses. Scam artists pretending to be DCA/board/bureau staff members or investigators are notifying licensees that they are under investigation, that their license may be suspended, or that an arrest warrant has been issued in the licensee’s name, and then they will demand money.
In some instances, scam artists identify themselves as other entities including local police, the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) or the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI). The callers may be even be “spoofing” DCA/board/bureau telephone numbers to make the calls appear to be coming from DCA or the board/bureau.
Please know that DCA/board/bureau staff members or investigators will never contact licensees demanding money or payment of any form or personalized information without conducting an official investigation or inquiry. If you receive such a call, please refuse the demand for payment.
Please also consider the following:
- NEVER disclose any personal information, i.e. social security numbers, date of births, or credit/debit card numbers.
- If you receive a call, contact the DCA directly at (800) 952-5210 to inquire if an official investigation is being conducted.
- You may also wish to call the board or bureau responsible for issuing your license. Contact information for all DCA boards and bureaus can be found via this webpage: https://www.dca.ca.gov/about_us/entities.shtml
- If the caller is stating they are from the DEA, report the scam using the DEA’s Extortion Scam online reporting form: https://www.dea.gov/stories/2019/06/11/alert-extortion-scam-targeting-dea-registrants
- If the caller is stating they are from the FBI, report the scam using the FBI’s Internet Crime Complaint Center reporting form: https://www.ic3.gov/default.aspx
- If the phone number of the caller appears to be a DCA/board/bureau telephone number, report the scam using the Federal Communications Commission’s consumer complaint form: https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us/articles/115002234203-Unwanted-Calls-Phone-“
For more information, please visit the DCA’s website: https://www.dca.ca.gov/
See the DCA’s Fraud Scam Alert here: https://www.dca.ca.gov/licensees/scam_alert.shtml
Please also feel free to contact our license defense attorneys at firstname.lastname@example.org and 916.851-1900 with addition questions or for information regarding representation. We can help nurses get the right defense.